We are excited to partner with MA DESE to help provide select schools with seven AP® STEM courses free of charge! Below is an overview of how the program works.
In September 2020 DESE was awarded a five-year grant totaling $9,127,691 from the U.S. Education Department (ED), through the Expanding Access to Well-Rounded Courses Demonstration Grants Program. With this funding, and via a partnership with VHS Learning, we are establishing the STEM Advanced Placement Access Expansion Opportunity (SAPAO). SAPAO is a statewide initiative to increase the capacity of schools to offer advanced coursework that will equip students with the skills and competencies they need to pursue postsecondary education and, ultimately, go on to STEM professions vital to the Massachusetts economy.
At the heart of this project is a commitment to generate greater equity in STEM AP course-taking, which DESE prioritized by narrowing participation to schools with above average rates of Black, Latino, and/or Economically Disadvantaged student enrollment. Through the grant, DESE also intends to serve schools in which low numbers of students engage in STEM AP courses despite demonstrating the skills to participate in this advanced coursework. The highest priority schools are those DESE envisions using the statewide virtual platform to drive their long-term strategy to increase capacity to offer STEM AP courses.
Give your students free access to seven AP STEM high school courses! Click each course link below to view the course description, prerequisites, and technical requirements.
- AP® Calculus AB
- AP® Statistics
- AP® Computer Science Principles
- AP® Biology
- AP® Chemistry
- AP® Physics 1: Algebra-Based
- AP® Environmental Science
For schools that know they want to participate in STEM AP ACCESS Opportunity (SAPAO) this fall and are ready to enroll students in courses, please email Jennifer Gwatkin to confirm your interest. Here are the steps that will follow:
- Schools confirm participation in SAPAO by emailing Jennifer;
- DESE reviews request and confirms number of students who can enroll in SAPAO from the school;
- DESE communicates school name, contact names, and allowed enrollment allocation to VHS Learning;
- VHS Learning provides school with link to register for Site Coordinator training;
- School selects Site Coordinator who will be responsible for SAPAO cohort;
- VHS trains Site Coordinator in how to enroll students in STEM AP courses;
- School begins outreach to families and enrolls students in STEM AP courses
Other question not answered there?
Please contact Jennifer Gwatkin for more information.