Curriculum and Instruction Coordinator (Computer Science/Technology)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Curriculum and Instruction Coordinator is responsible for curriculum coordination for all computer science and technology courses at the Virtual High School (VHS), which includes the monitoring and revision of existing courses as well as development of new courses.
Given the swiftly changing landscape of computer science education and the potential for grant-funding of course development and other initiatives, the Curriculum and Instruction Coordinator must be well-versed in the latest approaches in computer science and, if not already an expert, must be willing to understand best practices in cohort-based online education.
The Curriculum and Instruction Coordinator is also a faculty advisor, responsible for supporting VHS computer science and technology teachers on an ongoing basis to ensure courses are delivered according to VHS standards. This includes an interest in nurturing professional relationships with teachers within their discipline.
The Computer Science/Technology Curriculum and Instruction Coordinator also contributes to the general work of the Curriculum & Instruction Team. Such activities could include helping to test and evaluate learning management system features or digital tools, development of assessments to quantify student learning within VHS courses, contributions to team priorities related to mastery-based learning, and development or facilitation of professional development webinars/courses for middle and high school teachers.
Curriculum Development and Standards Review
- Revises and/or manages revisions of existing computer science/technology courses.
- Develops and/or manages development of new computer science/technology courses.
- Stays abreast of latest advancements in computer science education.
- Ensures implementation of all VHS policies, standards, and pedagogy in VHS online courses.
- Works with the Curriculum & Instruction Team and VHS faculty to correlate courses to state and/or national standards.
Faculty Advising and Delivery Management
- Coordinates delivery of all courses in the subject area.
- Monitors/mentors teachers in the subject area to ensure high quality online instruction.
- Facilitates communication among teachers of the same discipline and/or courses.
- Facilitates and/or manages facilitation of professional development training modules.
- Works with VHS stakeholders to resolve issues related to daily operations of courses.
- Teaches VHS courses in area of specialty as a substitute and/or upon request.
- Works with the Administrative and Curriculum and Instruction Teams to generate conference topics, papers, proposals, poster sessions, and panel presentations as needed.
- Participates in other Virtual High School projects and cross-team activities as required.
- Maintains proficiency in new platforms and programs as required.
- MA/MAT in Computer Science/Math, Education, Educational Administration or the equivalent.
- At least 5-years’ experience teaching and/or coordinating curriculum at the high school level, with appropriate teaching and/or supervisor certification.
- Working knowledge of innovative approaches to computer science curricula.
- Strong technology background that includes experience with programming languages and with varying technology programs.
- Certification in programming/web development, software development and/or engineering technology a plus.
- Highly proficient working within a learning management system, Brightspace (D2L) experience a plus.
- Self-motivation, sound judgment, problem solving, and collaboration skills necessary.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work successfully on multiple projects at once.
This full-time, full-year position located in Maynard, MA includes a generous benefits package including: Life Insurance at two times annual salary, Long-term Disability and AD&D Insurance, 5 weeks of annual paid leave in addition to 12 paid holidays, employer retirement contributions, a flexible workplace, and the option to purchase employer subsidized pre-tax medical/dental benefits and enroll in a health and/or dependent care flexible spending account (FSA). Local applicants preferred; consideration will be given to highly qualified fully remote applicants as well.
To apply for this position, submit your resume and cover letter to Human Resources (Jane Gallagher).